Seven reasons illustrate the role social justice plays in Catholic support for Marriage Equality (M.E.):
- The majority of Catholics recognize that love makes a family, not gender. This is in accord with Catholic theologians’ thought.
- Not to have M.E. is discriminatory, and “my faith is against discrimination.”
- I support M.E. because I want to protect children.
- Many support the protection of couples with all benefits of societal rights. This is especially the case if the Catholic asked has LGBT relatives.
- M.E. helps develop strong families and a better society.
- Church should not dictate public policy for all people. M.E. is an issue of civil marriage, not religious marriage.
- Some Catholics are not on-board with LGBTs, but “I as a Catholic believe in equality and fairness, which should be in place for all people.
Frank DeBernardo in
New Ways Ministry present forums on Marriage Equality throughout the Country