July 22nd is the Feast of St. Mary of Magdala. It is a day set forth by various religious organizations and faith communities to commemorate Mary Magdalene as the “Apostle to the Apostles,” and to celebrate the charism of women and their contributions to the Church. Mindful of the latter, and in keeping with DignityUSA’s mission statement, the National Board of Directors will launch a Magdala Campaign in July 2010. Ramon Rodriguez, Director and Marketing Committee Chair, and members of the Committee provided much energy and assistance to the Board in the development of the campaign. The project is part of DignityUSA’s ongoing advocacy and support of women in the Church and society.
Magdala Campaign objectives:
- “Enlarge the tent” by inviting more women to DignityUSA
- Strengthen our advocacy by addressing sexism as a driver and enabler of homophobia
- Inspire local chapters to embrace the full inclusion of women in their chapter ministry
Magdala Campaign implementation:
- Create a DignityUSA’s Women’s Leadership Fund — a special fund to support both professional development and leadership initiatives for women of all vocations. (Details coming soon.)
- Advertise in various publication and make contact with various organizations to solicit funds to support the DignityUSA Women’s Leadership Fund. The fundraising campaign will commence in July 2010 and continue into 2011.
- Announce, celebrate, and showcase Magdala celebrations by DignityUSA local chapters.
- Promote the work of key women leaders in important LGBT and progressive Catholic publications.
- Continue education efforts to raise consciousness on how misogyny, kyriarchy, and discriminatory tradition impede progress.
- Promote a gender-inclusive model of Church leadership.
If you have any questions, or would like to get involved in this program, please contact Ramon Rodriguez by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the words “Magdala Campaign” in the subject header.