DignityUSA: Your Voice in 2015
By Lewis Speaks-Tanner, DignityUSA President
As 2015 winds down and we prepare to celebrate Christmas, it is a time for us to look back at the year. These are a few of the many DignityUSA successes this past year:
- Represented the U.S. Church reform movement at the International Movement We Are Church (IMWAC) gathering in Vienna, Austria and ensured that LGBTI issues were a priority in the IMWAC letter to the world’s bishops on the Synod on the Family
- Consulted with the U.S. Department of State and the White House about how to advance LGBTI human rights in the face of Vatican or bishops’ objections
- Was an opinion-shaping voice in traditional and social media across the U.S. and internationally, with DignityUSA and chapter leaders featured in over 700 articles, television interviews, and radio programs
- Challenged San Francisco Archbishop Cordileone on his comments about transgender people and his efforts to impose draconian morality clauses on diocesan Catholic school teachers
- Co-sponsored the first ever national gathering for employees of Catholic institutions, the majority of attendees being LGBTI people or allies
- Energized the national Convention in Seattle with exceptional speakers including Sr. Simone Campbell in her first address to an LGBTI organization, and attended special gatherings for women and young adults
- Several members were invited to the White House as guests of the President to witness Pope Francis’ historic welcome to the United States.
- As part of the Equally Blessed coalition, we sponsored a dozen families as pilgrims to the World Meeting of Families, to represent all of us as they witnessed to the fact that LGBTI people are blessed members of our Church.
- Sent two representatives to participate in the inaugural meeting of the Global Network of Rainbow Catholics in Rome. We were able to fund that trip because of YOUR generosity.
We thank you for your generosity -- from volunteering time, using technical and professional skills, and providing financial support. With your continued support and prayers, we look forward to seeing many more successes in 2016!
On behalf of the Board of Directors and Staff, I wish you a joyous Christmas and blessed New Year!